4.13.2009

Eatin Good In Someone's Neighborhood: An E.Bo Pupuseria & Chinatown Dumpling House

Wow. So, I ate these meals a while ago but they were real good so I posted the photos knowing I would come back and write something magical about them... and here I am.


Depending on where you live, you might have some good local yum yums. I'm talking about those ethnic communities that boast a predominate flavor... a local speciality if you will that your barrio is known for.

If you live in Chinatown, there's a good chance your local cuisine is Chinese, though it
could also be Vietnamese, Korean, or Japanese... maybe even Malaysian. In Brookline, you probably have a good kosher deli or two, the North End? Most likely your jam is Italian... and in East Boston, we've got the Pupuseria. We have good Italian too but I don't want to take away from the North End, so we'll claim some pretty awesome Salvadorean and leave it at that.

Anyway, a while ago (like before I started working again) I went for lunch at a local Pupuseria called Mama Blanca's. It's a tiny little place I had driven past a million times when I was taking the "secret bat cave entrance" to the airport just for residents. I always wanted to stop but never did for whatever reason, but finally when a friend called and wanted to get lunch in East Boston one afternoon, it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Pupusa Mixta



It was such an impressive and budget friendly meal, I found myself there three nights later for dinner and then again several days in a row. The food is simple and uncomplicated, but fresh and prepared with care. The mixed pupusa with beans, cheese and pork is all melty inside and deliciously crisp outside with a lovely little topping of tart, vinegary cabbage and hot sauce. Tacos are super fresh with tender beef, double layer corn tortillas and zippy salsa.

I should also add that this place is run by the nicest bunch of people and it's a friendly neighborhood spot where you can get good, home cooked food for about the same amount it would cost if you cooked it at home. It's worth a trip to East Boston although you'd probably never find it you're not from here.

Amazing Beef Taco (I think it's like $3.00)


The very same week I made my first of several trips to the Gourmet Dumpling House in Chinatown. Same dining companion, same level of love for an awesome and unbelievably affordable meal.


Scallion Pancakes & Sautéed Pork Julienne w/ Bamboo Tips


A Minor Typo or Translation Mishap?



The main reason I wanted to go to the dumpling house was because since coming back from China this winter, I have been a tad obsessed with xiao long bao and have yet to find anywhere that does them well. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the soupy dumplings at Gourmet Dumpling House but I wasn't blown away.

The dumpling dough is a tad thicker than I like it and ironically, the dumplings didn't hold their juice as well as I would have hoped. I really love that scalding burst of rich brothy goodness that a good soupy dumpling injects in your mouth and spills down your chin. These dumplings (they do pork and pork with crab) are very good - but they're not exactly the real thing.

Xiao Long Bao w/ Crab & Pork


All is quickly redeemed however because everything else on the menu is pretty damn awesome. The pork and bamboo tips was bordering on addictive and the Chinese watercress with garlic was nice and crisp and would definitely ward off any vampires for a while. This was also a good meal because I got a call back about a job while I was there that I would later be offered which is the job I have today. The Gourmet Dumpling House is good luck!

Pork & Bamboo Tips & Chinese Watercress & Garlic


None of this will seem very impressive now but in early March when everyday was gray and cold, this beautiful day when the temperature climbed past 65 seemed like a miracle. I had interviewed in Faneuil Hall and decided to walk down to Beach Street in Chinatown and snapped these early signs of spring during my travels. It would snow a good foot two days later and when I left for Amsterdam on the third day, I would arrive to chilly weather and blustery, gray days.

An Outdoor Flower & Produce Stall on Washington


Spring Palette

More


Lunchtime at Downtown Crossing


Nothing But Blue Sky...


Signs of Spring in Chinatown


I did all this great eating while Dana was working in Amsterdam and out of boredom, I had made a chocolate amaretto cheesecake which Maceo decided to help himself to one evening as we lounged around in front of the TV. Before you get all grossed out, I don't share food with my cat... even though Maceo is a truly spectacular specimen and hardly classifies as a cat at all. I made him stop as soon as I took the picture and he doesn't like people food anyway. He merely wants to see what's up with it. He's far too finicky to actually eat it, which is sort of ironic.

Anyway, sorry for the truly delinquent post but Mama Blanca's and GDH are two spots worth checking out my any estimation. They represent something that's far too hard to find these days... really great food at really affordable prices, served by really nice people.

1 comment:

  1. I love both those places, too! The tacos at Pupusería Mama Blanca are actually only $2 each!

    ReplyDelete